Classic blueberry pie gets a Mary Jane style makeover with this delicious recipe for cute Mini Marijuana Blueberry Pie that is baked in, of all things, an ordinary canning jar lid!
Size Options When Making Marijuana Blueberry Pie
Whenever possible, I like to make medicated food in small servings, like these Mini Marijuana Blueberry Pies that are baked in ordinary 2-piece canning jar lids. Why? Because it makes portion control and dosage monitoring so much easier. There seems to be a psychological stop that keeps people from going back for a whole other pie, as opposed to taking "just a sliver more" off a large pie.
However, you could, alternately, use this recipe to make a single large blueberry pie. And while this recipe uses large wide-mouth canning jar lids to make 8 individual pies 3 1/2-inches in diameter, you could choose to use the smaller 2 3/4-inch canning jar lids to make about 12 tiny blueberry pies.
Freezing Marijuana Blueberry Pie
Here's another great thing about these pies. You can roll the dough and fill them, then wrap well in foil and freeze, unbaked. Anytime you want a fresh from the oven medicated Apple Pie, pop one out of the freezer and put it in the hot oven to bake following the instructions below, but allowing an extra 5-10 minutes baking time.
Options for Medicating the Marijuana Blueberry Pies
You have 3 options when it comes to medicating the Marijuana Blueberry Pies:
- Medicate the pie crust. Don't get intimidated at the thought of making your own pie crust. If you have a food processor, it's easy. I show you how to make pie crust with video instructions at this link, where you'll also find my medicated Marijuana Pie Crust recipe. If you opt to medicate the crust, you can still use the filling recipe below, just substitute regular butter for the cannabis-infused butter and proceed as directed.
- Use a store-bought crust and medicate the filling. The recipe on this page is for Blueberry Pie Filling. I use Marijuana Butter to make it. The instructions at this link will show you how to make cannabis infused butter, if you don't already know.
- Medicate both crust and filling. If you are someone who needs a high dose of cannabis, pies like this one have so much butter in them, you can make it ultra strong. Obviously, this option is not for everyone, but I hear from enough patients dealing with chronic pain and other issues who require strong doses, and pie recipes usually provide ample ways to amp the dosage for those who need it.
Dosage for Marijuana Blueberry Pie Edibles
Infusing the Pie Crust
If you are using my Marijuana Pie Crust recipe, it's easy to alter the ratio of cannabis-infused butter to regular butter in the recipe to adjust the dosage for your individual needs. I encourage you to take my free online Edibles Dosing Class, to adjust the recipe to a dosage you need or even better use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (see below).
If you don't know what your optimal cannabis dosage is, this article can help you to discover it.
When making a double crusted pie like this one, I usually make two batches of pie crust, one medicated and one not. I use the medicated dough for the bottom crust and top with unmedicated dough. This accomplishes two things:
- It makes it easier to figure dosing as the bottom crusts are all the same size, where the top crusts may vary depending on the styles you opt to make.
- It improves flavor as the medicated part of the pie is only one small component, making the overall flavor of cannabis barely noticeable.
Dosage When Infusing the Marijuana Blueberry Pie Filling
If you plan on medicating just the Blueberry Pie filling recipe on this page to make your Marijuana Blueberry Pies, this recipe will have about 10 mgs THC per pie (figured upon 8 servings using the larger Mason Jar lids), IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. Again, my free dosing class can help you adjust this, or any other marijuana recipe, to meet your needs, which is one of the most important benefits of making your own!
How to Roll Out the Crusts for Medicated Mason Jar Lid Pies
No matter if you make my homemade Medicated Pie Crust or if you use a refrigerated pie crust dough you bought at the market, you will need to fill the Mason Jar lids to make the pies. The very first thing you need to do is to turn the lid insert upsidedown, the opposite of how you would use it if canning. This will make a metal bottom and sides for you Mason jar lid pie pan.
This video shows you how to roll out the dough and make the bottom crust. Click to the pie crust recipe for more details and Part 1.
For those who prefer text and photo instructions:
1. Roll chilled pie crust dough (either homemade or store-bought) to a thickness of about 1/8-inch.
2. Cut a circle of dough slightly larger than the Mason Jar lid.
3. Fit dough into bottom and up the side of the canning jar lid.
4. Photo above shows the finished bottom pie crust, ready for filling.
Top Crusts for Marijuana Blueberry Pie
When it comes to topping mini pies, you can really have fun and get creative, or just roll out a circle and attach it like a traditional large pie. The techniques are the same if you are using my homemade Marijuana Pie Crust recipe or if you are using a store-bought refrigerated pie crust dough.
This video will give you some ideas when it comes to making the top crusts on your Mason jar lid marijuana pies.
Top Crust for a Traditional Style Marijuana Blueberry Pie
1. Fill bottom crust with about 1/4 cup of pie filling.
2. Cut a circle of dough, slightly larger than the circumference of the bottom crust.
3. Pinch the edges of the top and bottom crusts together.
4. Cut a few vents in the crust for steam to escape.
Making An Embossed Top Crust
Here's a slight variation on the traditional double-crusted pie. Roll out a circle as above then use the tines of a fork to press a decorative design into the dough. Top the pie as above.
Making a Lattice Top Pie Crust
The lattice crust pictured here did not make it to the video (as I kept working even after the crew left). To make a lattice topped pie:
1. Cut the rolled dough into thin strips.
2. You can either weave the strips together on the rolling surface, as pictured, then transfer to the pie, OR, since these pies are so small, it's pretty easy to weave the dough strips right on the pie.
3. If weaving on the rolling surface, use a wide, floured spatula to transfer the lattice to the pie, the press down the edges before brushing with an egg wash and baking (see recipe below). Press down the edges, brush with an egg wash, and bake.
Cookie Cutter Marijuana Pie Topper
Use a large cookie cutter (I used a marijuana leaf cookie cutter but any shape will do) to cut a decorative shape. Place on top of the pie, brush with egg wash, and bake.
Fun with Dough Dots Pie Toppers
Find a small round object laying around the house -- I used the end of an empty doob tube from a preroll I got at the local dispensary -- to cut a bunch of circles from the dough. Stack the circles around the edge for a decorative look. Scatter some of the circles over the blueberry filling for a Polka Dot Blueberry Marijuana Pie.
You can also cut a circle out from the piece of dough you used to cut the circles and use this to top the pie, as in the middle pie in the photo below. Press down around the edges to seal.
More for Cannabis Pie Lovers!
This recipe is part of a much longer feature on making marijuana pies. Click here for lots more delicious medicated marijuana pie recipes, plus video and text tutorials to help you make AMAZING cannabis-infused mini-pies!
Marijuana Blueberry Pie Baked in a Mason Jar Lid
- 1/2 recipe Cheri’s medicated Pie Crust, see notes above, for crust bottoms
- 1 refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1 nonmedicated homemade or refrigerated dough for crust tops, see notes above
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cannabis infused butter chilled
- 1 large egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- Prepare the crusts. If you are making medicated pie crust from scratch, follow the directions in that recipe to roll out dough and make 8 single crust pies in canning jar lids (3 ½-inch diameter). Recipe link to medicated Pie Crust is in the notes above. If you are opting to use a crust you bought at the store, you won’t need to roll it out, but instructions for cutting and filling the Mason jar lids are the same. There is a video above this recipe that shows you how to do it.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine blueberries, sugar, lemon or lime juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until blueberries are starting to soften and give off juice, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Drizzle cornstarch mixture into cooking blueberries, stirring until combined. Continue to cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Cut the chilled cannabis butter into tiny pieces and stir into the hot blueberry mixture until melted and evenly mixed.
- Fill prepared crust with blueberry filling, about 1/4 cup each.
- Top the pies with a second crust, see notes above for ideas and instructions.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before removing from the Mason Jar “pie pans” by carefully pushing up from the bottom to remove the ring, then using a knife to slide the pie off the metal disc and onto a plate. While this may sound complex, it’s actually quite easy to do in practice.
I thought if your temperature is over 300 it will burn the cannabis strength?
Nope, that is an often repeated myth but absolutely not true. now the food itself can’t get that hot, but it doesn’t. Think about a chicken that will roast for an hour or more at 350-375, when it’s perfectly cooked the internal temperature is only 160.
Generally speaking, lower cooking temperatures are better. THC is completely degraded at temperatures in excess of 392 degrees F although it starts to break down long before that. Do not use infused marijuana oils for direct sautéing, broiling, or frying. If you are making something battered, make sure the medicated part is inside the batter. But baking poses no problems.
To make a stronger medicated pie, couldn’t you make medicated sugar and add to the pie?
Yes you could, layering ingredients is a great way to add potency. Find more ideas for that in this article.