This Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd is destined to become your new favorite low carb edible.
Why? Because it is super quick and easy to make. You can freeze some for longer storage. It's delicious. And if all that were not enough, you can use it to make almost instant lemon keto edibles of all kinds!
Jars of cannabis keto lemon curd make terrific DIY gifts for the low carb edibles lovers in your life. Put a bow on a jar of festive yellow cannabis keto lemon curd and you have a beautiful looking gift too.
I came up with this recipe while staying with my family in Orange County, California. In the yard was a Meyer lemon tree overflowing with fruit. When life gives you lemons...Make Lemon Curd!
I originally made classic Cannabis Lemon Curd, but then thought, why not make a low carb version too?
Meyer lemons have a unique flavor that sets them apart. If you can find this unique type of lemon, they makes THE BEST cannabis lemon curd. However, if you can only get regular lemons, don't let that stop you from making this fabulous recipe. It will still be delicious.
How To Use Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd
How can you use cannabis keto lemon curd? Lots of ways. I am sure you will come up with more than I have below, so use your imagination for putting this versatile low carb edibles recipe to good use.
Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd is even delicious as is, right out of the jar!
Find lots of great keto dessert recipes you can pair with this cannabis keto lemon curd at my favorite Keto recipes website All Day I Dream About Food. They feature so many terrific recipes but check out the cakes, muffins, scones, breads, etc for ways to use this cannabis infused keto lemon curd.
- As a Cannabis Infused Topping/Spread: Use to top berries, sugar-free ice cream, keto cake, keto pancakes, waffles, muffins, etc. You can even spread on your favorite toasted keto bread. Whip with cream cheese for a lemon cheesecake spread or dessert dip.
- As a Cannabis Infused Filling: Fill keto pie and tart shells, cakes, cupcakes, donuts, candies, cookies, macarons, and more.
- As a Cannabis Infused Parfait: Layer cannabis keto lemon curd in parfait glasses with berries. You can either layer straight lemon curd or layer keto lemon mousse (see below)
- Keto Lemon Mousse: Fold Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd into whipped cream and spoon into wine goblets for an almost instant Cannabis Infused Keto Lemon Mousse. Garnish with berries.
- As a Food Flavoring: Mix cannabis keto lemon curd into sugar-free ice cream or yogurt to flavor and infuse them.
A Note on the Color of Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd
I tested a lot of recipes and variations to come up with this keto lemon curd and my original Cannabis Lemon Curd recipe. One thing I noticed on the color is, it was dependent on the eggs used, not on the lemons.
When I used free range organic eggs with dark colored yolks, I ended up with a vibrant bright yellow marijuana lemon curd. The batches I tested using regular super market eggs tasted just as good, but their color was far paler.
Use Cannabutter to Infuse Keto Lemon Curd
Cannabutter makes the best way to infuse this recipe.
As it takes 6 tablespoons of butter for each batch of Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd you are probably going to want to use some cannabutter mixed in with uninfused butter to make a total of 6 tablespoons. I do this in the recipe below. How much of each will depend on the usual dosing factors (see below).
Checkout my 4 Foolproof Ways to Make Cannabutter tutorial to infuse butter for this recipe.
The Best Sweetener for Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd
I tested a bunch of different no carb sweeteners for this recipe. In the end my favorite was Lankanto Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener. You could use other brands of low carb sweeteners too, but I did find that the powdered versions worked best.
The recipes I tested with granulated sweeteners always were a little grainy as the sweetener never fully dissolved. It wasn't bad right after making the lemon curd as the grains were fine and it didn't really bother me.
However, with storage the grainy problem got worse. While the keto lemon curd tasted good, it had the texture of a mouthful of sand!
I then tried Now's Organic liquid monkfruit, which is my second favorite choice.
The texture of the keto lemon curd stayed smooth when using liquid sweetener. My only issue with it was that by the time I used enough to sweeten the lemon curd, it had that familiar bitter aftertaste that most low carb and keto cooks are trying to avoid.
Freezer Friendly Cannabis Lemon Curd
Marijuana Keto Lemon Curd will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks. If you can keep yourself from eating it all for that long.
You can also freeze cannabis keto lemon curd for 6 months or more. Bring to room temperature and enjoy when ready use.
You can freeze in plastic freezer containers, or small glass canning jars. Leave an inch or so of space at the top.
A Note on the Dosage for the Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd Recipe
This recipe will have about 20 mg THC per 1/4 cup serving IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup cannabis infused butter.
To learn how to adjust the dosage for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to to infuse your butter, take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class that will teach you how to do it. Even better, use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (see below).
Cannabis Keto Lemon Curd
- 1 egg yolk large
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup powdered monkfruit sweetener see notes above
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest finely grated
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cannabis infused butter cut into small ieces
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted, cut into small pieces
- In the top pot of a double boiler, or in a large metal bowl that you can suspend over a pot of simmering water, whisk together all ingredients EXCEPT the cannabutter and butter.
- Place the pot over the base of the double boiler, or place the metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk mixture constantly and cook for about 10 minutes or until the keto lemon curd has thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in the cannabutter and butter until the lemon curd is smooth.
- Place the mixture in a clean glass jar and let it cool before transferring to the fridge. If you plan to freeze the keto lemon curd, chill in the fridge first before transferring to the freezer for longer storage.