This Cannabis Lemon Curd is destined to become your new favorite edible. That's because it is super quick and easy to make. You can freeze some for longer storage. It's delicious. And if all that were not enough, you can use it to make almost instant lemon edibles of all kinds!
Jars of cannabis lemon curd make lovely DIY gifts for the edibles lovers in your life. Put a bow on a jar of festive yellow lemon curd and you have a beautiful looking gift too.
Are you on a low carb diet? Check out my recipe for Keto Cannabis Lemon Curd.
I came up with this recipe while staying with my family in Orange County, California. In the yard was a Meyer lemon tree overflowing with fruit. When life gives you lemons...
Meyer lemons have a unique flavor that sets them apart. If you can find this unique type of lemon, they makes THE BEST cannabis lemon curd. However, if you can only get regular lemons, don't let that stop you from making this fabulous recipe. It will still be delicious.
How To Use Cannabis Lemon Curd
How can you use cannabis lemon curd? Lots of ways. I am sure you will come up with more than I have below, so use your imagination for putting this versatile edibles recipe to good use. Cannabis Lemon Curd is even delicious as is, right out of the jar!
- As a Cannabis Infused Topping/Spread: Use to top fruit, ice cream, cake, pancakes, waffles, muffins, scones, even plain old toast. Whip with cream cheese for a lemon cheesecake spread or dessert dip.
- As a Cannabis Infused Filling: Fill pie and tart shells, cakes, cupcakes, donuts, candies, cookies, macarons, and more.
- As a Cannabis Infused Parfait: Layer cannabis lemon curd in parfait glasses with fruit, cookie crumbs, cake bites, nuts, granola, etc. You can either layer straight lemon curd or layer lemon mousse (see below)
- Lemon Mousse: Fold Cannabis Lemon Curd into whipped cream and spoon into wine goblets for an almost instant Cannabis Infused Lemon Mousse. Garnish with berries.
- As a Food Flavoring: Mix cannabis lemon curd into ice cream or yogurt to flavor and infuse them. It also works with vanilla pudding, rice pudding and tapioca pudding. Change buttercream icing into Lemon Cannabis Buttercream by beating in some cannabis lemon curd. Swirl some cannabis lemon curd into cheesecake batter before baking for a Lemon Marble Cannabis Cheesecake.
- As a Recipe Ingredient: A Google search for recipes made with lemon curd will give you a world of options. Substitute cannabis lemon curd in the recipes and you'll find no end to the creative and delicious edibles you can create by using cannabis lemon curd as an ingredient.
A Note on the Color of Cannabis Lemon Curd
I tested a lot of recipes and variations to come up with this one (I also developed a sugar-free version, coming soon). One thing I noticed on the color is, it was dependent on the eggs used.
When I used free range organic eggs with dark colored yolks, I ended up with a vibrant bright yellow marijuana lemon curd. The batches I tested using regular super market eggs tasted just as good, but their color was far paler.
Use Cannabutter to Infuse Lemon Curd
Cannabutter makes the best way to infuse this recipe.
As it takes 6 tablespoons of butter for each batch of Cannabis Lemon Curd you are probably going to want to use some cannabutter mixed in with uninfused butter to make a total of 6 tablespoons. I do this in the recipe below. How much of each will depend on the usual dosing factors (see below).
Checkout my 4 Foolproof Ways to Make Cannabutter tutorial to infuse butter for this recipe.
Freezer Friendly Cannabis Lemon Curd
Marijuana Lemon Curd will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks. If you can keep yourself from eating it all for that long.
You can also freeze cannabis lemon curd for 6 months or more. Bring to room temperature and enjoy when ready use.
You can freeze in plastic freezer containers, or small glass canning jars. Leave an inch or so of space at the top.
A Note on the Dosage for the Cannabis Lemon Curd Recipe
This recipe will have about 20 mg THC per 1/4 cup serving IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup cannabis infused butter.
To learn how to adjust the dosage for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your cannabutter, take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class that will teach you how to do it, or better yet, use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (see below).
Cannabis Lemon Curd
- Stove top
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs large
- 1/3 cup sugar granulated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest finely grated
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cannabis infused butter cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- In the top pot of a double boiler, or in a large metal bowl that you can suspend over a pot of simmering water, whisk together all ingredients EXCEPT cannabutter and butter.
- Place the pot over the base of the double boiler or place the metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk mixture constantly and cook for about 10 minutes or until the curd has thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in the cannabutter and butter until the cannabis lemon curd is smooth.
- Place mixture in a clean glass jar and let cool before transferring to the fridge. If you plan to freeze the lemon curd, chill in the fridge first before transferring to the freezer.