A reader asked me for weed steak recipes. I had to think for a minute about how to cook marijuana infused steak. Then it came to me, the answer is with cannabutter.
Many steak recipes are flavored with compound butters at the end of cooking. Compound butters are generally flavored with ingredients like herbs and garlic.
Using cannabis butter to make compound butters lets you add cannabis to steak along with flavor and juiciness.
I came up with this particular weed steak recipe after visiting Baja California, Mexico's Valle de Guadalupe wine country where I picked up some exquisite artisan blue cheese. Filet mignon seemed a worthy pairing for such a fine cheese. And some fine marijuana butter too!
Marijuana was all over the place in Baja, not quite wide open, but in attitude the place is not far behind California norte (that's US California to us gringos).
Read more about our Road Trip to Baja here, you'll want to plan your own getaway!
Making Marijuana Butter
If you have marijuana butter on hand, this recipe goes together in nothing flat. You can even make it after a busy day at work. But because of its indulgent ingredients, weed steak never fails to impress. Keep it in mind next time you have a special date!
If you need to learn how to make marijuana butter, my easy tutorial tells all!
A note about the Dosage for the Weed Steak recipe!
This recipe will have about 35 mg THC per serving IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. To adjust the dosage up or down for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your butter, be sure to take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class that will teach you how to do it, or use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (see below).
Filet Mignon With Chive Marijuana Butter and Blue Cheese
- 2 filet mignons
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cannabis infused butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons butter and olive oil and swirl to mix. Add steaks and cook until done to your liking, about 3-4 minutes each side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a plate to rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Melt remaining teaspoon butter with canna-butter and stir in chives. Pout melted chive butter over cooked steaks, top with crumbled blue cheese, and serve with a good red wine, like many of those made in Valle de Guadalupe.