This is favorite summer dessert! Not only are these cannabis trifles delicious, you can make them ahead of time, and they are easy to store and transport as each one is made and served in its own individual jar.
I used half pint Mason jelly jars to make 10 individual servings. The jars are always handy to have around as they provide a better place to store your marijuana stash than the typical plastic baggie or prescription bottle.
Of course the red, white and blue color scheme of this recipe makes it perfect for an Independence Day barbecue or picnic, but these are fabulous medicated desserts to serve all summer long. Experiment with favorite fruits as they come into season – blackberries, strawberries, peaches, and mangos make wonderful alternative choices to the blueberries and raspberries depicted here.
I baked the cake on a 1/4-sheet sized baking sheet but you could also bake in round pans, just make very thin layers (3 maybe instead of 2). The cake will be cut and layered into the jars so the pan you bake it in doesn’t much matter, as long as you end up with thin cake layers.
This dessert looks spectacular and always elicits oohs and ahhs from anyone you serve it to, yet it is super easy and takes no special decorator’s skills in order to achieve impressive results! Leftovers will keep in their covered jars for 3 or 4 days in the fridge.
I use marijuana butter to medicate this recipe. My Making Marijuana Butter tutorial will help you make it.
Alternative Cannabis Trifle Presentations
If you don't want to make individual Mason Jar desserts, you can make the individual trifles more elegant by serving in stemmed wine glasses instead. And of course, you could also use a large bowl to make one big traditional style trifle like in the photo below.
A note about the Dosing on Cannabis Trifle recipe!
This recipe will have about 50 mg THC per serving IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. To adjust the dosage up or down for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your butter, be sure to take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class that will teach you how to do it, or use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (below).
Lemon Berry Trifles in a Jar -- Marijuana Recipes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cannabis infused butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 large large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest grated
- 2 cups blueberries fresh
- 2 cups raspberries fresh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9X13 inch quarter sheet pan baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl with an electric mixer, cream canna-butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then lemon extract, lemon zest, and yogurt. Lower mixer speed and mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Scrape edges and mix by hand to ensure batter is evenly mixed. Pour into greased half sheet pan and smooth out into one even layer. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool 30 minutes.
- Prepare the lemon cream by whipping together the heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar, lemon extract until stiff peaks start to form. Whip in the lemon zest.
- To assemble the trifles, use an upside-down half-pint jelly jar as a cookie cutter and cut 20 circles from the baked cake. Don’t worry if you need to piece some of these circles together, once they are layered in the jar, nobody will ever know the difference. This dessert is VERY forgiving!
- Press 1 cake circle into the bottom of each of the 10 half-pint jars. Add a layer of fruit, followed by a layer of cream, then another cake circle, more berries, and more cream. Garnish with a few fresh berries on top and serve, or if making ahead, cover with jar lid and refrigerate until serving time.
Please Support our Sponsor
(This post was originally published June, 2019.)