Blazed Butter Tarts – Yum!
I came up with this recipe for the now defunct Freedom Leaf Magazine to celebrate Canada’s legalizing marijuana.
Classic Butter Tarts date back to the pioneers who settled the Canadian prairies. This maple-enhanced version also gives a nod to Canada’s east coast. And of course the cannabis is a nod to Canada’s being the first G-7 nation to legalize marijuana.
Of course I use marijuana-infused butter to medicate this recipe. My How to Make Cannabis Butter tutorial will teach you how to make it.
A note about the Dosing on this recipe!
This recipe will have about 25 mg THC per tart IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. To adjust the dosage for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your butter, be sure to take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class.
Marijuana Butter Tarts
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold cannabis infused butter
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- about 1/3 cup ice water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple or vanilla extract
- Mix together flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a large food processor. Cut cannabutter and butter into small chunks, add to food processor and pulse 8 to 10 times until butter is incorporated. Add in ice water, a few tablespoons at a time, until the dough just holds together, do not over mix. Gather dough and shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour before proceeding.
- Roll out chilled dough on a lightly floured surface (or between two sheets of plastic wrap) to about 1/3-inch thickness. Use the bottom of a glass to cut out 12 rounds a little large in circumference than the size of a muffin tin cup. Gather scraps and re-roll as needed, trying to use up all the dough. Press the dough circles into the bottom and up the sides of 12 muffins tin cups. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- While crusts are chilling, preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare filling by stirring together the brown sugar and melted butter until well combined. Mix in the maple syrup, eggs, cider vinegar and extract. Beat well so mixture stays emulsified and divide the filling between the prepared chilled crusts, filling them to about 1/4-inch from the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 and bake until pastry is golden brown and filling is starting to set, about 10-12 more minutes. Let cool completely before removing tarts from the muffin tin and serving.