This recipe for Red Velvet Weed cupcakes is reprinted from my book The Easy Cannabis Cookbook (2018, Rockridge Press) that contains over 60 easy medicated recipes for both sweet and savory edibles.
Because of its dramatic look, red velvet cake always elicits wows from guests, and this weed cupcake version is no exception.
I use cannaboil to medicate this recipe. My Making Marijuana Oil tutorial will help you learn how to make it.
Freezer Friendly Cannabis Cupcakes
For longer storage, wrap individually then freeze. When you want to enjoy a medicated treat, just bring to room temperature and enjoy.
A note about the Dosage for the Red Velvet Weed Cupcakes recipe!
Each red velvet weed cupcake will have about 25 mg THC per serving IF you made your cannaoil from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup oil. To adjust the dosage for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your oil, be sure to take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class that will teach you how to do it, or use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (see below).
Marijuana Cupcakes: Cannabis Infused Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cannabis infused oil
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl beat together the cannabis oil, oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract with an electric mixer.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix just until smooth.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare icing, beat together cream cheese, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Lower mixer speed and slowly beat in confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Increase speed and beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spread icing over completely cooled cupcakes, leaving a small rim unfrosted to allow the cake to peak through.
In the ingredients it calls for cannaoil and regular oil but in the instructions you only add the cannaoil not the regular is it one or the other. Seems like a lot of oil if both?
Thank you for letting me know (hard to proofread my own work sometimes). I have updated the recipe. The oil amounts were correct, you would add both at the time when mixing. Of course for a larger or smaller dose, you vary the ratios of medicated to unmedicated oil.
Can you use canna butter instead of canna oil?
Probably but I have not tested this recipe that way.
Can this be made with RSO?