Bodacious Beaver Tails (get your mind out of the gutter LOL “Beaver Tails” are popular Canadian donuts)
You’ll find variations of these oval-shaped donuts, named for Canada’s national animal and styled after its distinctive flat tail, throughout the country.
Some people get fancy with Beaver Tail toppings like Nutella, lemon and sugar, or maple syrup, but I like the original cinnamon and sugar version best and since it is, to this point, the only recipe for Marijuana Donuts I have done, I wanted something classic.
When making the dough, warm the water and milk to just above lukewarm in order for the yeast to grow. Too hot or too cold and this recipe won’t work.
A note about the Dosing on this recipe!
This recipe will have about 20 mg THC per serving IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. To adjust the dosage for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your butter, be sure to take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class.
Marijuana Donuts - Beaver Tails, Canadian Style Cannabis Doughnuts
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 package 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk warmed
- 2 tablespoons cannabis infused butter melted and slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- About 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Stir together the warm water, warm milk, yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for about 10 minutes or until foamy. Stir in the melted cannabis butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and egg. With the dough hook on the mixer, add flour and mix until the dough comes together and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Increase mixer speed to knead dough for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. If dough is sticky, add a little extra flour.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Cut into 8 equal sized pieces and shape each piece into an oblong.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten and roll out each piece of dough into an oval. Use a knife to score a crisscross pattern in the top of dough. Transfer donuts to a lightly floured baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add about 2-inches of oil to a large skillet and heat to 350°F or until a small bit of dough dropped in the oil floats to the surface sizzling. Keep an eye on the oil during the cooking process and be sure to lower the temperature if you see it smoking. Fry Beaver tails for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden brown. Remove to the bowl of cinnamon/sugar and turn to coat. Serve immediately.
Making Marijuana ButterThis tutorial will teach you to make the marijuana butter used in this recipe.
Edibles Dosing:This dose is only a suggestion. Be sure to read and understand Calculating Cannabis Doses in Edibles before attempting to cook with marijuana. To learn how to PRECISELY dose this and other recipes, take my FREE online dosing class (takes just 10 minutes).