This B.C. specialty (from Nanaimo, a suburb of Vancouver), was made to be medicated! Likewise here is your Marijuana Nanaimo Bar recipe.
The unmedicated version of these layered bars made their debut in a 1950s cookbook from the Vancouver Island city of Nanaimo. They’ve been growing in popularity ever since.
My first encounter with Nainaimo Bars was back in the 80s when I made my living as a circus and variety arts performer. A producer I worked a lot for at the time had several dates a year booked at a small Vancouver theater near (but not in) Nanaimo.
Near was close enough for every coffee shop to have stacks of the sweet treats offered in the vicinity of the checkout register.
My friends and I quickly learned that different cooks had their own variations on the legendary local dessert and the quality could vary substantially from purveyor to purveyor. I hope my medicated version passes muster. My recipe testers thought it did and then some!
A note about the Dosing Marijuana Nanaimo Bars!
This recipe will have about 15 mg THC per bar IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter.
To adjust the dosage for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your butter, be sure to take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class that will teach you how to do it, or better yet, use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (see below).
Cheri's Dosage Calculators
Perfect dosing every time, even when not cooking with lab tested weed. Easy to use!
Marijuana Nanaimo Bars
- 1/4 cup cannabis butter melted
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flaked coconut sweetened or not
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Place all crust ingredients in a food processor bowl and pulse until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely before proceeding.
- In a small bowl, stir together the pudding mix and milk.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat the softened butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and the pudding/milk mixture until smooth. Slowly beat in the confectioner’s sugar, a little at a time, until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to smooth the filling over the cooled crust. Chill for at least an hour.
- Prepare icing by combining the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Spread icing over chilled bars and chill until cold.
- Cut into squares to serve. Store covered in the fridge for up to a week or wrap individually and freeze for longer storage.