Broken glass pipes. It’s a horror nearly every marijuana smoker has experienced…a beloved glass pipe shatters and breaks while tapping out in an ashtray.
I have a friend who regularly buys cheap Chinese made glass pipes. He endures this problem on a weekly basis (yet he continues to keep buying subgrade pipes). A well made tempered glass pipe would last much longer, but even these can fall victim to this problem as over time as the tiny clinks weaken the glass until eventually, it can break.
My buddy Ian Wright came up with a brilliant DIY solution to this dilemma and agreed to let me share it with the world. It’s so simple yet so effective! The video above will show you how to make your own Pipe Saver Ashtray using nothing but glue and a cork (text and photo instructions are below the video for those who don’t like videos). These make great inexpensive gifts for the cannabis smokers in your life, so pick up supplies to make several at once and save some friends’ the heartbreak of broken glass pipes too.
DIY – How to Make a Pipe Saver Ashtray and Avoid Broken Glass Pipes Forever!
This ingenious craft project takes just minutes, but you’ll wonder how you ever lived without a Pipe Saver Ashtray.
FREE! Cheri’s Cannabis Consumer Hacks
Over 40 easy practical tips you can use today including stretching your stash, easy pipe cleaning, odor control, money saving secrets, and more!
To make one Pipe Saver Ashtray you will need:
- the cork from a bottle of Champagne or other sparkling wine (the mushroom shaped head of these corks provide more pipe tamping space)
- a serrated knife, such as a Ginsu or even a sturdy steak knife
- all-purpose glue that works on glass, sold at any hardware store
- a small glass ashtray like those sold at dollar stores
1. Take the serrated knife and carefully cut about a 1/2-inch off the bottom of the Champagne cork. We tried making an ashtray without doing this step and it resulted in an ashtray that sprayed ashes all over the table when you tapped the pipe out. Shortening the cork a little eliminates this problem.
2. Smear some of the glue onto the cut bottom of the cork.
3. Glue the cork into the center of the ashtray and let dry overnight.
That’s it! Could not be easier. Your new Pipe Saver Ashtray is ready to use and start saving you from the horror of broken glass pipes that died before their time.
More Cannabis DIY Projects
- How to Make Dry Ice Kief
- How to Make Marijuana Infused Bath Salts
- Cannabis Infused Chocolate Covered Strawberries
(Gandalf Pipe stunt pipe by Chameleon Glass.)