Every time I produce a joint in a mixed crowd everyone seems impressed that I rolled such perfect marijuana cigarette, right down to the cardboard filter tip. (I say mixed crowd because those in the cannabis world are used to perfect joints ALL the time, the rest of the world, not so much).
But I have a secret. I can’t roll a decent joint by hand to save my soul. They always come out looking like pregnant worms!
I know joint rolling is a good skill to have, but I have just never taken the time to practice as there is always something more pressing to do.
No matter. I still always have perfect joints, and you can too. It just takes an inexpensive little cigarette roller gadget like the one pictured below. You can pick one up for just a few dollars at any smoke shop or order online, but this indispensable little gizmo allows you to quickly and easily roll perfect, professional looking joints every time.
Let’s Talk Joint Crutches/Filters
Before we get to rolling, let talk for a minute about crutches (sometimes called filters). This is an optional step when rolling by hand or with a cigarette roller, but a HIGHLY recommended one. The cardboard tip serves two important purposes:
- It keeps the end of the joint that goes in your lips from getting wet and yucky and falling apart.
- It eliminates the need for a roach clip, as you smoke the joint all the way down to the cardboard crutch and then just toss it out. No waste!
Some rolling papers, such as OCB, come with cardboard crutches/filters in the rolling paper packs. Or you can buy pads of precut crutches like those made by Raw. You can even purchase fancy filter tips that are already prerolled!
A money saving tip is to save up white business cards of people you are never going to call anyway, and cut them into crutches.
No matter what you use to make your joint crutch/filter it’s worth the time and you will be rewarded with a better overall smoking experience.
How to Roll a Perfect Marijuana Joint Step-by-Step
- Grind your cannabis to an even consistency so that it will, in turn, burn evenly.
2. Fold the crutch by making 3 or 4 small accordion folds on one short end then roll the rest of the filter around this to make a small tube (see photo above).
3. Place the folded crutch on one side of the roller.
4. Fill the remaining space with ground cannabis.
5. Close the roller, give it a couple of turns towards you to compact the cannabis, then insert a rolling paper, glue side facing you.
6. Roll until just the glue strip piece of paper is exposed. Lick the glue, then roll the rest of the way.
7. Remove from roller and spark it!
Extra: Awesome Joint Holder!
Pot Pockets are handcrafted wooden joint holders. Smaller than a deck of cards, each Pot Pocket holds 3 or more joints. Best part, you can smoke part, put in back in the box, and save the rest for later. Check out my full review here.